Explore Elmhurst! Close to Everything, Unlike Anything – Elmhurst is an ideal location with proximity to major airports and minimum drive time to major market places. Situated at the eastern gateway to DuPage County, Elmhurst is located sixteen miles west of Chicago, minutes from O’Hare International Airport, and at the crossroads of key Illinois expressways.
This dynamic suburban city is home to more than 46,000 residents and 2,700-plus businesses. The all-around appeal of Elmhurst is frequently recognized on “it” community lists and earned the city national recognition in 2014 as one of Family Circle Magazine’s Top 10 U.S. Towns for Families.
Long known for being a safe, vibrant community, Elmhurst continues to focus on such quality of life issues as recreation, public safety, transportation and environmental stewardship.
Elmhurst also has a longstanding history of public/private cooperation particularly in the retail and industrial real estate sectors. The Economic Development Team works cooperatively with new and expanding businesses to create a higher standard of living for those who live, work and do business in Elmhurst, offering an array of incentive programs for new and expanding businesses.
- Proactive, business forward Mayor & City Council
- Successful legacy of implementing TIF
- 22-minute express Metra service at peak hours to/from Chicago
- Nationally ranked public library, school and park districts
- Healthy driven community; home to Edward-Elmhurst Healthcare
- 64% of residents 25-64 hold a bachelor’s degree or higher
- Identified as top tier location in terms of attracting millennials and young Gen Xers
- Mean household income: $133,484 / Median household income: $95,479